Your Guide To Financial Aid

Facebook Twitter Linkedin Plusone Email


The cost of tuition shouldn’t stand in the way of getting an education. Most students rely on some form of financial aid to get through college. Florence-Darlington Technical College’s Office of Financial Aid will walk you through the application process to help you get the most aid available.

What is financial aid?

Financial aid is money provided by federal, state and institutional sources to help students meet expenses while attending college. Many students find it increasingly difficult to finance a college education without some assistance. In general, most students who are enrolled in an approved degree or certificate program are eligible to receive financial assistance.

The entire financial aid process seems overwhelming and confusing. How can I get financial assistance if I’m not even sure how to apply?

Applying for financial aid can be confusing. FDTC’s Office of Financial Aid can help you fill out applications and answer any questions you have about the process.

I’m not sure I qualify for financial aid. Should I complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?

Yes, the best way to determine what funds you qualify for is by completing a FAFSA application. It doesn’t cost anything to apply. Financial aid removes financial barriers for families who cannot afford the cost of an education and also provides needed funds for families who can afford only a portion of college costs. Your financial eligibility will be determined by a number of factors including family income, the size of your family and number of family members attending college.

You can complete a FAFSA in the following ways:

• Online (FAFSA on the Web) at

• Call 800-433-3243 to obtain an application.

When do I file a FAFSA?

If you plan to pay for courses with financial aid, you must file your FAFSA as early as possible. Students who wish to attend in
the fall may file as early as January. In order to meet the priority funding date at FDTC, students should apply on or
before May 1st. Applications received after that are still
eligible for funding, but award amounts may be reduced after
that date.

What happens once I file my FAFSA form?

After the FAFSA form has been filed, you will be mailed a Student Aid Report (SAR), which indicates your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and your Federal Pell Grant Eligibility. If you file electronically, you will be notified via e-mail.

If I am not eligible for the Federal Pell Grant, what other types of financial aid are available?

The FAFSA is used to determine your eligibility for federal and state grants, Work-Study and loans. When students are not eligible for the Federal Pell Grant, they may be eligible for state grants, such as the S.C. Education Lottery, the SC Need-Based Grant, and the Life Scholarship. Students also have the option to apply for a Federal Stafford Loan, which you must pay back.

How do I apply for a Federal Direct Loan?

Students must complete a FAFSA form, even if they are not eligible for a Pell Grant, and a Federal Direct Loan application. Applications (Federal Master Promissory Notes) can be obtained online at

What is the difference between a subsidized Federal Direct Loan and an unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan?

Subsidized loans are need-based loans. The interest is paid by the federal government while the student is attending school at least half time (six credits). Unsubsidized loans are not need based, and the student is responsible for the interest while attending school. Students have the option to defer making the interest payments if they are enrolled part time.

Does the College have a tuition payment plan?

Yes. FDTC’s payment plan requires a $30.00 non-refundable handling fee in advance. The payment plan balance is payable in two equal payments on dates determined according to the academic calendar and included in the contract by the Business Office.

Applications and instructions for the Tuition Payment Plan may be picked up at the Main Campus or at any of the satellite sites. Students who are interested in the Tuition Payment Plan can also contact the FDTC Business Office at 843-661-8310.

For more information, please visit and click on the “Financial Aid” pull-down menu along the bar near the top of the page.  The site contains comprehensive information about financial aid at FDTC.

Florence-Darlington Technical College Financial Aid Center,
100 Building, Tel: 853-661-8085 E-mail:

Office Hours: Appointments are not necessary. Regular schedule: Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Summer schedule: Monday – Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.; Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.



Money a student receives based on financial need. The student does not have to pay back a grant.


Money a student gets based on grades or talent and is not paid back.


Money borrowed for college that needs to be paid back.

Work-Study Program

Money a student earns by working while attending college.

Facebook Twitter Linkedin Plusone Email